IT Officer Vacancy Position
Position: IT Officer
Job Location: Marsabit, Marsabit County
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Duration: One Year with possibility of Extension
The Pastoralist Community Initiative and Development Assistance (PACIDA) is an indigenous, non-sectarian, non-profit making organization committed to linking emergency, rehabilitation and development in pursue of sustainable pastoralist development. PACIDA works with marginalized pastoralist and agro-pastoralist populations in the arid and semi-arid areas in Kenya and Southern Ethiopia to end poverty and hunger and provide sustainable durable solutions to the challenges affecting the vulnerable communities. PACIDA respects strict political and religious impartiality and operates according to principles of non-discrimination and transparency. The organization’s regional/cross-border approach to community development is motivated by the relationship between the communities living across the international borders and their ecological interdependence especially during extreme weather times. The cross-border approach is intended to build synergy and enhance communities’ engagement and resilience to recurrent disaster threats and risks resulting from climate variability, risks and threats.
Our interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development through a contextualized multidisciplinary approach. Adopting a community-based approach, PACIDA works towards ensuring that the poorest and most vulnerable pastoralist communities have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH), Sustainable Livelihoods, Peace and Governance, Education and Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change and Adaptations.
In order to fulfill its mandate, PACIDA is seeking for qualified competent individual to fill the position of IT Officer. The purpose of the job is to initiate and maintain dynamic information systems that caters for Pastoralist Initiative and Development Assistance (PACIDA’s) information technology needs and ensure use of appropriate information technology in line with the PACIDA’s IT policy.
The successful candidate will perform the following key roles and responsibilities: Computer software and hardware solutions;
- * Window server systems;
- * Power back up systems;
- * Network management;
- * Data back up system
- * Management of financial system;
- * System security
1. Computer hardware and software solutions
- * Regular evaluation of current computer hardware/software in order to provide a timely replacement schedule or upgrade;
- * Testing new programs before user installation and implantation; and
2. Network Administration Services
- * Setting up and maintaining all WAN, LAN, email, website and windows server configurations.
3. Technical Support and Capacity Building
- * Receiving and diagnosing of IT issues from all staff for appropriate solutions;
- * Providing relevant information about the system to enable resource access;
- * Guiding users systematically to trouble shoot systems and offering immediate and alternative solution to issues;
- * Empowering users by sending system tips and guidance instruction;
- * Logging user issue for escalation either to the management or product/service supplier;
- * Facilitating IT training to all PACIDA staff for effective utilization of PACIDA’s core systems and new products; and
- * Providing technical support and trouble-shooting for installed servers, including implementation of disaster recovery plans and prepare standard procedures for monitoring servers, and ensure that they are fully operational.
4. System & Information Security
- * Administering E-policy and client update and configuration;
- * Publishing of internal resource for external access and
- * Patching application with current security updates and hot fixes.
5. Key Responsibilities
- * System analysis, development, implementation and maintenance
- * Servers design, implementation and maintenance;
- * Participating in the definition, designing, testing and implementation of new Information Technology (IT) hardware and software standards for PACIDA’s based on user requirements and in accordance with the strategy and direction.
- * Resolve any hardware (PCs, Routers, switches, Servers & PABX) Configuration related problems; and
- * Testing and configuring all new equipment, particularly notebooks, desktops, and servers, to ensure compatibility with PACIDA requirements and standards. 6. Inventory management & Maintenance
- * Maintaining software and hardware inventory;
- * Ensuring secure custody of equipment within PACIDA; and
- * Supervising equipment preventive maintenance and carry out a regular evaluation of current hardware/software in order to provide a timely replacement schedule or upgrade.
7. Information Management
- * Coordinating the production of technical instruction materials for technical and user support and ensure the documentations are kept up to date.
8. Any Other Tasks
- * Advisory roles to management on Systems management, support and troubleshooting; and
- * Advisory on procurement of technical equipment’s and related.
- * Three (3) years working in a network environment infrastructure;
- * Systems Administration and Management;
- * LAN and WAN management;
- * Hardware and software integration and maintenance;
- * Financial solutions configurations and Administration;
- * Excellent technical knowledge of user support; and
- * Exposure to diverse-multicultural environment.
Education and knowledge
- *Diploma/Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field;
- * MCSE certification is an added advantage
- * CISCO, N+ or mikrotik certification is an added advantage;
- * Influencing;
- * Critical and creative thinking ;
- * Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems;
- * Team work
- * Communication skills;
- * Analytical problem skills; and
- * Flexibility.
- * Confidentiality;
- * Ethical;
- * Integrity;
- * Reliability; and
- * Ability to work within deadlines.
- * The job requires a professional and analytical approach to systems administration.
- * Flexible Thinking
Application should be addressed to the Finance & Operations Director and include the following:
- * An updated CV; and
- * An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. PACIDA is an equal opportunity employer.